Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Little Kindnesses Among Siblings

"Blessed be childhood, which brings down something of heaven into the midst of our rough earthliness."
― Henri Frederic Amiel

Tonight as we drove home from a school reading event, my son wanted to keep reading his book in the car.  As I looked in the back seat, I saw one of his sisters holding her phone with the flashlight app so that he could read.  "Did he ask you to do that?" I asked.  "No," she replied with a very sweet smile that had no trace of wanting to be a too-cool teenager. 

That small gesture took me back a number of years to a power outage after a hurricane.  We had no electricity and only a couple of flashlights, including a very small one with a lens about the size of a quarter.  In the midst of the madness, I marveled at how each of my daughters took a turn holding the small flashlight while the other took her turn coloring.

Despite the sometimes seemingly endless days when children are young, childhood goes by in a flash.  But those moments of pure kindness among siblings -- when bickering seems momentarily forgotten -- last forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment