Tuesday, March 18, 2014

The Kindness of a Great Woman

"Love is the beauty of the soul."
―Saint Augustine

The world lost a great woman today.  She was the mother of one of my closest friends.  A mother of two, she was dedicated to her family -- her children, her husband, her extended family and those she included as part of her family.  She was smart and funny and generous and kind.  My family and I always felt welcomed at her home, and we looked forward to the family gatherings she hosted.  It was the kind of place where you were eager to arrive and not so eager to leave.  She shared terrific advice, especially about child rearing.  And her stories always made you laugh.  She loved my children -- she listened to them and talked to them and found the most thoughtful gifts for them.  Her kindness was such that it enveloped you.  And she made you feel loved.  I don't know that there can be a greater kindness than that.  And that kindness lives on.

No comments:

Post a Comment