Friday, February 27, 2015

The Kindness of a Thoughtful Borrower

"One can pay back the loan of gold, but one dies forever in debt to those who are kind."
~Malayan Proverb

When I think of "borrower," I immediately remember the fantasy novel that I read as a child titled "The Borrowers" by English author Mary Norton.  The "borrowers" were a family of small people who lived secretly in a house of big people and borrowed whatever they needed from the regular house inhabitants.  As far as I remember, the borrowers never returned anything.

And then there is my very dear friend who is one of the most thoughtful borrowers ever.  Last weekend, we traveled together to a school activity for our children and she borrowed a top of mine during the trip.  (It looked much better on her than on me.)  When she returned it a few days later, she had washed it, folded it in tissue paper  and put it in a store bag.  It looked like a gift!  And to top it off, she gave me a bouquet of my favorite flowers to thank me for lending her the top.  I am not sure that any borrower could be kinder.

No comments:

Post a Comment