Friday, July 31, 2015

The Kindness of Guidance

"Children require guidance and sympathy far more than instruction."
~ Anne Sullivan

It definitely takes a village to raise a child, and a huge help in raising children is having helpers.  Sure, having babysitters and other paid help is great, but I am referring to those other adults in your children's lives who love them and care for them and who tell them truths that they may not want to hear from their parents. 

The other day we were at the dentist's office.  We are blessed that our dentist is also the godmother of one of my children.  This wonderful woman told my children all kinds of things that I would have paid lots of money to have someone say to them.  It included, as one might predict, not to drink soda because it is bad for you.  But she also shares all kinds of wisdom with them that I am convinced they pay more attention to than when I say something similar.  These other adults who love our children perform great kindnesses when they take the time to guide them.

No comments:

Post a Comment