Monday, August 29, 2016

The Trickle-Down Effect of Kindness

"Remember there's no such thing as a small act of kindness.  Every act creates a ripple with no logical end."
~ Scott Adams

Years ago, one of my daughter's teenage friends, still in her pre-teen years, danced at a party with my much younger son.  He was all of six years old at the time.  For whatever reason, we have always thought of the song they danced to as "their song" and they will still gladly dance together to it and did so as recently as this summer.  The now teenager is still taller than my son, although I suspect he will catch up soon.  And they still hold hands when they dance and enjoying hamming it up.

On his first day of school this year, my son decided to play this song as we were getting ready to go.  I thought it was incredibly sweet that this was the song that he chose.  I imagine that it brings back nice memories for him.  And, of course, it reminded me of the teenager's kindness.

Shortly after I dropped off my son at school, another mother (of triplets, no less!) approached me to tell me how kind my son had been to her three boys the day before at a Sunday service.  She said that many older children do not pay attention to younger children and that her boys were so excited that my son had talked to them.  She kept repeating how kind my son was and my eyes got watery.  And then I remembered the song from the morning and I shared with her that my son is kind because older children have been kind to him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment