Sunday, May 21, 2017

Kindness, Calling and Commitment

"The genuine priest always feels something higher than compassion."
~ Karl Wilhelm Friedrich Schlegel

I recently attended the 50th anniversary celebration of a dear priest friend.  This priest married my husband and me, baptized our three children and celebrated more funeral Masses for our family than I would like to count.  He also was my boss for several years.  

During the homily at his anniversary Mass, he talked about what his life as a priest has been like the last 50 years... how he served as a pastor, then as a church administrator and most recently as a university president.  He spoke of celebrating milestones with so many families and accompanying them during the difficult moments.  Although he has shared many stories with me in the more than 20 years that I have known him, he shared one that I had never heard before.  He told of a Vietnam veteran who was holed up in his home with a number of guns surrounded by police when he called this priest and asked him to talk to him.  My priest friend showed up at the scene and was allowed to go inside and talk to the gentleman.  He ultimately was able to talk the gentleman out of the apartment without the guns.  I have no doubt that there are many other stories that demonstrate what an amazing person this priest is.

My priest friend has shared so much kindness with so many people in the last 50 years.  I am grateful for all that he has shared with my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment