Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Small Acts... Big Impact

"Sometimes when we are generous in small, barely detectable ways, it can change someone else's life forever."
Margaret Cho

I love to smile!  I really do.  It is so easy and such a simple thing, and yet it impacts people.  If nothing else, it is very hard to be in a bad mood if you turn up the corners of your mouth.  And I am inspired by what Mother Teresa said:  "Every time you smile at someone, it is an action of love, a gift to that person, a beautiful thing.”

For the last couple of weeks, we have been "sharing smiles" as part of our kindness project, so we try to smile wherever we go.  One of my children is at an age where scowls sometimes come more frequently than smiles.  As we continued making the rounds of doctors' offices for check-ups yesterday, I encouraged the children to practice "sharing smiles."

When the doctor's assistant, someone we had never met before, came into the examining room, she said to my not-always-smiling child:  "You have the most gorgeous smile!  Did you know that?"  My child beamed and so did the smile.

As we were leaving, I thanked the doctor's assistant and told her how much I appreciated her comment.  I do believe that her noticing my child's smile and saying something to her that small act of generosity impacted my child.  Forever?  Who knows, but I will take more smiles any day!

No comments:

Post a Comment