Saturday, December 23, 2017

The Kindness of a Grandfather

“More and more, when I single out the person who inspired me most, I go back to my grandfather.”
~ James Earl Jones

Yesterday was my grandfather’s birthday – he would have been 97, but we lost him too many years ago when he was in his early 60s.  December 22nd always seemed to begin Christmas for us when we were growing up.  Years later when I was in college, I knew I always wanted to be home by then.  One year when my siblings and I were children, my grandfather let us put our fingers in his cake.  My mother was appalled, but we loved it and my grandfather laughed.  My grandfather had a wonderful sense of humor – a dash on the mischievous side.  He reminded me of Ricky Ricardo and my grandmother was a Cuban version of Lucy.  My grandfather played a huge role in our lives.  A doctor, he had Thursday afternoons off, so he would pick us up at school and take us to the convenience store for Icees and candy.  I still remember holding his hand as we walked through a parking lot.  I knew he adored me as he did my brother and sister.  So many kindnesses, so many years ago.  They are always with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment