Friday, January 26, 2018

The Kindness of a Few Nudges

“It’s amazing what a little encouragement can do.”
~ Winnie Harlow

Nearly six months ago, I was thrilled to find out that a motivational speaker whose books I love would be coming to town.  I purchased several tickets and envisioned my entire family attending the event.  But then life got in the way.  There were tired teenagers, late work appointments, a dance…  It looked as though there was no way to go.  My husband, who had no interest in the speaker, said I should go.  He told me that we rarely regret the things we do – it’s the things that we don’t do that we wish we had.  (Of course, I reminded him that this may be true of adults, but certainly not teenagers.)  Then my son joined the fray and said that he would not go to his school dance unless I promised that I would go to hear my speaker after I dropped him off.  And finally, my lovely friend, who was at the event, encouraged me to go and her husband offered me his seat.  Well, it took me more than an hour of driving down very dark roads and I first drove to the wrong place, but eventually, I made it.  I arrived late and had to leave early, but I am grateful for all the nudges that got me there.

No comments:

Post a Comment