Monday, January 8, 2018

The Kindness of a Wonderful Listener

“I like to listen.  I have learned a great deal from listening carefully.  Most people never listen.”
~ Ernest Hemingway

I have a friend who is an amazing listener.  As you might imagine, she has been that way as long as I can remember.  And we have been friends for more than three decades.  Recently, we were together on a weekend afternoon.  As we drove, I was chattering almost mindlessly about an insignificant encounter with an old friend, and it wasn’t until quite some time into our being together that I learned that she had been through quite an adventure the night before.  I asked her how she could not have told me.  She said we would get to it eventually.  But that is how she is and has always been.  It’s never about her.

No comments:

Post a Comment