Friday, July 12, 2013

Kindness in Small Gestures

"Remember there's no such thing as a small act of kindness.  Every act creates a ripple with no logical end."
  Scott Adams, creator of the Dilbert cartoon strip

The end of yoga class brings the much-anticipated corpse pose or shavasana.  One lies on the floor in a meditative state and just relaxes -- for me, it is the reward after the physical exertion.  As we were going into shavasana this morning, the yoga teacher instructed us to "get comfortable."  She usually encourages us to put on our sweaters or anything warm that we have brought with us.  I had a sweater by my foot, but I didn't make the extra effort of reaching for it.  Maybe I was just too tired.  As I began entering the dreamy shavasana state, I felt my yoga teacher place my sweater over me.  She adjusted one side and then the other, so that it would cover me as best as possible.  I was touched by her small kindness.  It reminded me of tucking a small child or elderly parent into bed ...  A small gesture, but it carries such deep meaning because it says unequivocally that we care for the other person.

No comments:

Post a Comment