Thursday, July 25, 2013

The Kindness of Pausing and Observing

"What wisdom can you find that is greater than kindness?"
― Jean-Jacques Rousseau
 
For the last couple of days, it seems that much in my life has been about pausing and observing.  In my work as an executive coach, I have been having conversations about stepping back or away from situations.  This morning in yoga class, the teacher focused on pausing.  And in a book I am reading by Sylvia Boorstein, she directed the reader to do nothing but feel comfortable for 15 minutes.  Taking a pause can be a kindness to ourselves and to others.

An article in the New York Times last year stated that taking a break while we are working is important because taking regular breaks from mental tasks improves productivity and creativity as our minds need time to recover from sustained use just as we need to take rests between weight-lifting repetitions at the gym.

When I was going through my coaching training, I was told to "observe" my behavior as homework.  I did not understand what observation would do for me as it sounded passive.  But, in trying it, I realized that observing can be the first step toward change.  To observe ourselves in a situation, we have to take a step away from what we are doing.  And in that small movement away from a situation, we frequently find that we can move toward something else, which may be what we really want.

There is wisdom to be found in a pause.  It can enable us to recharge and regroup, or to gain perspective.  Given the speed at which our lives move, which seems faster and faster by the year, taking a time out to rest, to observe or just "to be" can be helpful -- and kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment