Monday, July 8, 2013

Kindness through Prayer

"When we show kindness to others by praying for them, we are also in intimate touch with God, who is the source of love.  This dynamic relationship with God through prayer opens up our lives for intimacy with God, which also means our lives are opened up for an inrush of God's love.  Thus, love is coming in from God through vital contact with him and going out from us as we pray for others."
—Ajith Fernando

I was thinking a lot about prayer yesterday -- maybe because it was Sunday.  Although I have felt reassured when people have prayed for me, I wasn't sure why it felt so nice.  Just last week, someone who was visiting shrines in Italy told me that she would pray for me in Assisi and I felt a profound sense of peace and gratitude.

Thankfully, I am blessed with friends who have a much better understanding of prayer than I do.  On several occasions, I have asked them to pray for me.  One of these wonderfully prayerful people shared yesterday:  "I truly think that prayer is one of the greatest acts of kindness.  Sometimes the person or people you are praying for have NO IDEA they are being prayed for, which makes it even more special.  Jesus said, 'When you pray, go somewhere quiet, and shut the door and HE that sees and hears all, will reward you' (Matthew 6:6).  That reward is His sweet, tender kindness that soothes the soul of the person being prayed for and warms the soul of the one praying."

Another very special friend shared that when she was in another country caring for her sick father, a friend forwarded her a Gospel e-mail that she received daily with a short message that she was praying for her.  My friend said:  "It was so simple and yet so uplifting.  I felt God was talking to me through her, holding me and giving me the strength I needed.  From that day on, she would send it every single morning and I would respond to her confiding only to her my fears and concerns.  I felt she was my Guardian Angel, she was my way to ease my pain and feel closer to God.  We were two souls connected by prayer every hour of the day and I could feel God's presence in me.  She still does it and I love her for it.  I know now that praying for someone is not only an act of kindness but a beautiful gift that we all possess and when we share it, we give others hope and love and make the world a little better."

My path to prayer has been filled with great lessons.  Sometimes, prayer seems the only thing we can do for each other, particularly during difficult times.  And although I found it a bit strange and awkward at first, I have come to find great solace in praying with a group of people for their intentions as well as mine.  My prayers are frequently for courage and peace to navigate whatever trouble people are facing.  A priest also once told me that when you are having difficulty with someone, pray for her.  I found that kind of odd until I tried it.  There is something about prayer that seems to dislodge the grudge and it opens you to the possibility that things aren't exactly the way you might have thought.  It moves you away from judging.  And now I understand, in a way that I did not before, that prayer moves us toward and fills us with love.

No comments:

Post a Comment