Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Teaching Kindness

"Ask yourself: How have you been kind today?  Make kindness your daily modus operandi and change your world."
  Annie Lennox

Scientists have found that we have an innate tendency toward kindness.  But as with most inherent gifts or qualities, kindness needs to be nurtured and encouraged.

When I asked a friend, who is a pre-school teacher, how she teaches kindness to her young students, she said:  "By example!  Do to them what you would want done to you.  The greatest commandment God gave us!"

Another friend who works as an elementary school teacher wrote:  "I'm with children all day.  I don't know any other way to be with them than patient and kind.  And, I preach kindness to my students any chance I get.  It's funny... I made a little memory book with my kids the last week of school and there was a page in it where they had to write about me, their teacher.  There was a question ... 'What have you learned from your teacher this year?'  A couple of my kids, rather than naming a subject, a skill, etc., put 'kindness.'  I couldn't believe it!  One little girl, for the question 'What did you love the most about your teacher?' responded, 'Her kind heart.'  That really brought me joy!"

My hope with our family's summer project on kindness is to encourage kindness in our family, both an attitude of kindness and specific kind acts.  I want to make sure that we all know what kindness looks like and ultimately that we realize how great it feels and how it can change our world. 

What can each of us do to teach a little kindness, to practice kindness each day? 

The Random Acts of Kindness Foundation, established by an anonymous donor to promote kindness worldwide, has a terrific website that is filled with resources for families and educators, www.randomactsofkindness.org.  Also take a look at Youth Frontiers, a Minnesota nonprofit established to build community and inspire character among young people.  In addition to other programs, Youth Frontiers leads Kindness Retreats for 4th and 5th Graders, www.youthfrontiers.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment