Monday, July 1, 2013

Kindness and Carts -- Confirmed

"When you carry out acts of kindness you get a wonderful feeling inside.  It is as though something inside your body responds and says, yes, this is how I ought to feel."
― Harold Kushner

I was so happy yesterday when my mother shared that she had joined the returning grocery carts movement.  But something about the carts had been troubling me:  What if we were thinking that returning carts was kindness only to find out that we were taking a task away from the employees who bag groceries and retrieve carts?  I wanted to make sure that we were really being kind and not jeopardizing anybody's job.

Before enlisting anyone else, I figured I should get to the bottom of this cart conundrum.  So today, when I encountered a grocery store employee collecting carts, I asked him if we were taking work away from him.  No, he assured me, it's a help.  Not entirely convinced, I decided to get the management perspective.  I went to see the store manager, who initially gave me an incredulous look as I prattled on about the kindness project, our returning carts and the blog.  Once he determined that I was not completely insane, or that he could spare a couple of minutes talking with a loon, the manager said that returning carts really helps him.  I also learned a couple of interesting things about the carts.  They cost about $150 each, which I never would have guessed.  And the store manager told me that missing carts were actually a big problem, especially when he first took over the store 10 years ago.  He said that he would send out a van to collect the carts that people were walking away from the store.  While we are not tackling that issue, he said that he appreciated our efforts because parking is a challenge for his store, made worse by the carts in the empty spaces, and he has to keep reminding his employees about collecting the carts, which they especially dislike doing in the heat.  I felt much better knowing that this brand of kindness is truly that.

Now, I just need to find out about those parking meters ...  (Someone told me that it was illegal to put money in expired meters.)

No comments:

Post a Comment