Friday, March 6, 2015

The Kindness of Being Friendly

"One never reaches home, but wherever friendly paths intersect the whole world looks like home for a time."
~ Hermann Hesse

Earlier tonight, I walked into an event by myself.  I usually go to this annual dinner with my husband, but he had to attend another event, so he was going to meet me there.  Shortly after arriving at the pre-dinner reception, I ran into a woman who is the friend of a friend -- I am not sure that she qualifies as my friend.  Whenever I see her, she gives me a big smile and I get the sense that she is truly happy to see me.  We always have a nice conversation.  We talked for a few minutes until we had to go into the dinner.  As I reflected on the evening, my conversation with this woman was one of the highlights and her friendly manner made arriving at the event alone much easier than it might have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment