Sunday, March 15, 2015

The Kindness of Raising Thoughtful Children

"If you bungle raising your children, I don't think whatever else you do matters very much."
~ Jackie Kennedy

The other day, I had two friends of my children over for the evening.  A brother and sister duo, young teen and pre-teen, they are not only incredibly polite, but also nice to have around.  They have a way about them... a certain manner in treating others -- with respect and thoughtfulness.  At the beginning of the evening, I was worried that the boy, who is the young teen, would be sufficiently entertained as the rest of the group was younger.  He told me not to worry about him, that he was fine.  When the children all sat down to eat, the brother and sister quietly said prayers even before I mentioned grace.  My son then shared that he had not said grace at school before lunch that day.  And the young teen said, "Well, you can always pray after.  Don't we say thank you for gifts after you receive them?"  These children rinsed their plates before putting them in my dishwasher.  And then when I took them home later that evening, I actually saw the boy (young man really) close the car door for my daughter after she got in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment