Saturday, March 28, 2015

The Kindness of a College Student

"Being polite and grateful will make people more inclined to help you.  And if people are willing to help you, you may accidentally get something you want."
- Jason Sudeikis

A very good friend of mine from college asked me to write a letter of recommendation for her son, who is in college and wants to transfer to our alma mater.  I was very happy to write the letter and shipped it off to our university.

A few days later, I was pleasantly surprised to receive a very thoughtful e-mail from this young man thanking me for the letter I had written. Certainly, it was the polite thing to do, but people, especially busy and harried college students, don't seem to have much time for the finer points of etiquette.  It occurred to me that regardless of where this young man ends up going to school, his thoughtfulness will be a terrific asset as he makes his way through his university studies and on to the workplace.

No comments:

Post a Comment