Tuesday, March 17, 2015

The Kindness of a Gentle Nudge

"Nothing is so strong as gentleness, nothing so gentle as real strength."
~ Saint Francis de Sales

On a recent weekend, I had agreed to meet a group of mothers for a rare evening out.  There was a purpose to our meeting -- to plan for an upcoming event.  But the day had become busier than I originally envisioned and included meeting a work-related colleague in town for the day.  After a late lunch with my colleague, I drove back home, where I knew I would only be for an hour or so. 
 
When I got back in my car to head out to the moms' dinner, I received a text from one of my dearest mom friends, who had organized our getting together.  "How are you doing on time?"  she wrote.  When I responded that I had just left my house, she answered, "Yay!!!"  And I knew then that she was not concerned about the time, but rather about whether I would once again drive out to go to the dinner.  Ever thoughtful and understanding, she would not have been upset at me had I opted out, but she did want me to go -- and so she gave me a gentle nudge.

No comments:

Post a Comment