Monday, March 23, 2015

The Kindness of Making People Feel at Ease

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."
~ Maya Angelou

I have been cutting my hair with the same person for 20 years.  My twice yearly or so visits don't exactly make me a significant client, but I look forward to seeing my stylist.  I do like how he cuts my hair, but I also think that part of it (a big part of it) is that he is funny and kind.

On a recent Saturday, I had an appointment with him at the new salon to which he had moved since my last visit.  I don't like to be late, but I was a few minutes behind schedule.  Although it was only seven or eight minutes, I know that that can throw things off in a salon, so I felt badly as I rushed down the street and into the salon.

But when I arrived, he greeted me with "Perfect timing!" and gave me a big hug.  I don't know whether he had just finished his last client and was grateful for the extra minutes, or whether it is just his way -- which is what I think it is.  But with those two words, he made me feel so much better.

A few days later, a professional colleague called just as I had finished a prior call.  He began with a tentative, "Am I catching you at a bad time?"  And I replied, "No, it's perfect timing!"  Indeed, it was, but I also remembered how nice those two words had been to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment