Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Kindness and the Gift of a Battered Bear

"Carve your name on hearts, not tombstones.  A legacy is etched into the minds of others and the stories they share about you."
~ Shannon L. Adler

As we continue decluttering, I have been going through toys and stuffed animals, and asking my children to select a few they would like to keep.  One of my son's choices surprised me.  He chose a battered polar bear that he received from a maintenance man in our community.  Years ago, someone was throwing it away and the maintenance man gave it to our son.  After we gave it a good washing, the bear became one of my son's favorites.  At our recent stuffed animal review, my son opted to keep it and he still remembers who gave it to him.  We told the maintenance man about my son's keeping the long-ago gift.  Surprised, he said, "He was so small... You never know what they'll remember."  Thank goodness, one of the things children remember is kindness.

No comments:

Post a Comment