Saturday, January 23, 2016

The Kindness of a Breakfast Invitation

"I do believe we're all connected.  I do believe in positive energy.  I do believe in the power of prayer.  I do believe in putting good out into the world.  And I believe in taking care of each other."
~ Harvey Fierstein

One of my dearest friends invited me to a breakfast a few weeks ago.  She said it was to hear a nun speak.  I did not know anything about the speaker, but I told her I would go.  On a recent Saturday morning, several of us drove up to the event in a nearby city.  The breakfast was hosted by a Catholic women's group and the featured speaker was an Irish nun with the gift of healing.  Along with a couple hundred other women and a few men, we prayed, we sang, we laughed and yes, we cried.  We were moved by the nun's own story as well as by other things that happened.  There was a raffle as occurs frequently at these types of events.  One of the winners was a woman who was part of our group.  Although you would never know it by looking at her, she has been battling cancer.  When she went up to receive her raffle prize, the mistress of ceremony told everyone in the room that this woman had cancer and so the entire room prayed for her.  I am not sure that there was a dry eye in the room, but there was certainly hope and hearts filled with gladness.

No comments:

Post a Comment