Thursday, January 7, 2016

Small Kindnesses on the Road

"I'm convinced of this: Good done anywhere is good done everywhere.  For a change, start by speaking to people rather than walking by them like they're stones that don't matter.  As long as you're breathing, it's never too late to do some good."
~ Maya Angelou

I am not one to count acts of kindnesses.  I mostly just like to enjoy them.  But on a recent morning, I experienced at least two by 11 am.  How great is that?!  Both were driving-related.  The first was in a parking garage.  There was an unusually long line to exit and I imagined that the ticket machine was broken as it has been in the past.  When I reached the exit, there was a building employee standing by the machine.  I asked her if it was broken.  Not now, she said, but a ticket had gotten stuck earlier.  I gave her my ticket, which she inserted in the machine, and when the machine indicated the amount to pay, I gave her my credit card.  "No, it's okay," she said, "You had to wait."  Alrighty then.  It wasn't about the money -- it was just a nice thing to experience.  A few minutes later, the lane in which I was driving was closed off.  I paused, waiting to see if someone would let me into the adjacent lane.  Sure enough, a car slowed down and a driver signaled for me to pull in front of it.  Small kindnesses, but they do boost the spirit.  Because, after all, kindnesses are a way of people telling each other that they matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment