Thursday, January 28, 2016

The Kindness of a Question

"Without reflection, we go blindly on our way, creating more unintended consequences, and failing to achieve anything useful."
~ Margaret J. Wheatley

I recently had lunch with two friends to celebrate my lovely friend's birthday.  Not surprisingly, it was the birthday girl who gave us a gift -- a question.  She asked us, "Is there anything that you wish you were doing now that you're not?"  That took us down several paths, which included the dream of a tiny house and living closer to nature, more yoga...  The best thing that it did was to make us reflect.  As busy as we all are, sometimes we are just going and going, and we don't stop to think about what is important to us and what makes us truly happy.  I asked my lovely friend about her question the following day and she said, "I don't like to be on automatic pilot!"  I have since asked other friends the same question.  Thanks to my lovely friend, I know that some of us are checking in with ourselves in a way that perhaps we have not for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment