Friday, January 1, 2016

The Kindness of a New Year's Text

"One of the most beautiful qualities of true friendship is to understand and to be understood."
~ Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Among the texts that arrived with Happy New Year's wishes was one from a friend whom I haven't seen in a while.  I especially appreciated it because she had texted me a couple of weeks back and I had not responded -- not for any good reason.  I was just in the middle of holiday overwhelm.  My friend didn't take offense and instead just restated that we should get together.  It reminded me of another friend who at one point thanked me for being her friend even when she didn't make as much of an effort as she would have liked. 
 
That is one of the many wonderful things about friendship -- at times, it may seem that our efforts at connection ebb and flow, but hopefully, our friends understand that it's about life circumstances, not the friendship.

No comments:

Post a Comment