Thursday, July 3, 2014

A Lovely Reminder About Kindness

"Here's something I know to be true, although it's a little corny, and I don't quite know what to do with it:  What I regret most in my life are failures of kindness."
― George Saunders

A lovely friend of mine recently returned from vacation and brought me a very thoughtful gift George Saunders' book, "Congratulations, by the way Some Thoughts on Kindness."  Mr. Saunders is the writer, MacArthur Genius Award recipient and Syracuse University professor who made headlines last year after his commencement speech on kindness went viral.

I keep the small book in a place where I see it many times a day, next to a vase with my favorite flowers.  I turn it over to reread the quote about failures of kindness, which is printed on the back cover.  It makes me wonder what opportunities I am missing where perhaps I have not stretched far enough in the kindness department, nearly always because it's hard.  I love kindness when it's of the Hemingway "pretty to think so" variety, the kind that makes you feel better and doesn't cost you a whole lot emotionally.  Ah, but then there is the other kind kindness that is hard because it involves difficult people or complicated relationships.  And that is where I find it is easier to fail.  My hope is that this little jewel of a book will remind me to keep stretching. 

No comments:

Post a Comment