Saturday, July 26, 2014

The Kindness of Remembering a Feast

"Nothing is really lost as long as you remember it."
~ Ally Condie

July 26th is the feast of St. Anne. When I was growing up, "Santa Ana," as we referred to the day, was very special -- a group birthday of sorts as my grandmother, my mother, my sister and I all have Ana in our names.  We would give each other gifts and get together for a family celebration.

But my grandmother has been gone for 15 years and my sister has moved out of state. So Santa Ana has lost a little of its big dealness, although my mother still honors the day.

We celebrated early this year as I would be traveling. And then when today arrived, I was thinking about -- and missing -- my grandmother. But I received a very thoughtful text from one of my best friends who was in Australia on business to let me know she was thinking of me on my feast day.  And one of the Kindness Muses, who never met my grandmother, sent me an e-mail wishing me a Happy St. Anne's Day and saying that she knew that it was a special day for me and remembering my "beloved grandmother." She sent me a beautiful picture of St. Anne from a book as well as a novena that she was praying to St. Anne (and to St. Joachim, whose feast it also is).

Life changes, we lose people we love and others come into our lives. And one of the kindest things is when people we know remember those whom we have loved and lost, whether they knew them or not.

1 comment: