Tuesday, July 22, 2014

The Kindness of Perspective

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact.  Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
―Marcus Aurelius

Recently, I shared with a friend that I don' t like going to the dentist (even thought my dentist is fabulous, by the way).  This friend told me that she loves going to the dentist because she always feels better after she goes.  In fact, she said that she would like to go more often than every six months.  And that got me thinking...  It reminded me that I am very fortunate to have a dear friend as a dentist, especially because she is patient and kind, and that I am blessed to have access to great dental care. 

Sharing a different perspective can sometimes get the other person to shift in her thinking, and that is often a good thing.  And while I may still need to draw on my yoga breathing and think of my favorite things as I sit in the dentist's chair, listening to my friend's perspective moved me a little further away from my discomfort and closer to a place of gratitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment