Friday, July 11, 2014

The Kindness of Making Others Feel Special

"Being a star just means that you just find your own special place, and that you shine where you are.  To me, that's what being a star means."
Dolly Parton

My children have a friend who is a star in the way Dolly Parton describes it.  Without fanfare, she is comfortable in her skin, she is generous with others and she shines right where she is.  She has many lovely qualities, and one that stands out is her capacity to encourage others.  We all remember things that adults or other children said to us growing up.  They stay with us.  And sometimes, what we remember from our peers isn't all good. 

The other day, my son told me that this little girl told him that he has "musical qualities."  He was very proud of that, although I am not sure that either one of us knew what it meant.  So the next time that I saw this little girl, I asked her about it and she told me that he has a "musical ear."  

"Whenever I hear him sing a song, he sings it correctly," she said.  "Most people sing songs one key higher."

This little girl is quite musical herself as she plays the piano and the drums, and I imagine that she knows what she is talking about.  But more important than that is how she made my son feel  she made him feel special.  And I have a feeling that he will remember her kindness for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment