Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Counterintuitive Kindness

"Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy."
―Thich Nhat Hanh

Sometimes kindness doesn't cost much.  For example, when you are not in a rush and you let someone cut in front of you in traffic.  Maybe that costs you a few seconds.  Or when you smile at someone, which doesn't cost you anything at all and makes everyone feel better.  But what about when you think kindness might cost you something -- maybe seconds or minutes when you are already late?

The other day as I was running a little late in morning rush-hour traffic, I decided to do an experiment.  Instead of trying to inch forward at every turn and not letting anyone get in front of me, I would actually let people in front of me here and there.  What was the most it could cost me in terms of time?  And then a funny thing happened on my way to kindness:  After the third car, I was feeling much better.  I was less stressed about running a few minutes late and I felt better that I could still remain connected to people around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment