Sunday, July 27, 2014

The Kindness of a Special Friend Named Kate

"The glory of friendship is not the outstretched hand, not the kindly smile, nor the joy of companionship; it is the spiritual inspiration that comes to one when you discover that someone else believes in you and is willing to trust you with a friendship."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

I am blessed with a special friend named Kate. She is actually the mother of one of my college housemates, who is herself one of my dearest friends.  During college, I would have long talks with Kate and ask for her advice. She was always straightforward with me, kind and never judging.

Although I had not seen Kate for several years, a couple of years ago during a summer road trip, we were close to where she lived. I called her and it was as if I had just seen her.  She delighted in meeting my children.

A road trip once again brought us to the state where she lives, so we were fortunate to have brunch with her today. Although she is approaching 80, you would never know it. She has always retained the glamour of having once modeled and she has an elegance that is timeless.  She also has a mischievous twinkle in her eye that keeps her forever young.  Very patiently and lovingly, she listened to my children as they told her stories and showed her pictures.  We had a leisurely meal and then went to an ice cream parlor together.

Kate was incredibly kind to me during my college years; I knew that she was only a phone call away. And that natural kindness is such a part of her. We enjoyed it today as she asked about my family and my job, as she joked with my husband and showered my children with attention.


No comments:

Post a Comment