Sunday, August 2, 2015

A Special Brand of Kindness

"There never was any heart truly great and generous, that was not also tender and compassionate."
~ Robert Frost

There is something about kindness by children that especially touches my heart.  In one evening, I overhead two instances of kindness from one of the kindest and most special little girls I have ever had the privilege to know.  She is 12 years old.

A group of children was sitting at a table drawing.  One of the younger children, a nine-year-old boy, said, "I'm learning how to draw."  The 12-year-old girl looked at him incredulously:  "Learning how to draw?  You already know how to draw, my artist friend!"

Earlier in the evening, the same nine-year-old had found himself sitting alone in the back row of an SUV when his traveling companion got out of the car momentarily.  The 12 year-old girl, who was sitting in the middle seat, said to him, "Hey, do you want me to go and sit with you back there?"  And she immediately jumped over the middle seat and joined him in the back.

I wish I could bottle her special brand of kindness.

No comments:

Post a Comment