Saturday, August 15, 2015

The Kindness of Sweet Talk

“Mama was my greatest teacher, a teacher of compassion, love and fearlessness. If love is sweet as a flower, then my mother is that sweet flower of love.”
-  Stevie Wonder

End-of-year summer school uniform shopping is anything but fun.  The one place in the county that carries the required uniforms is a madhouse.  Everyone seems impatient, overwhelmed and in a hurry – all at once.  It is difficult to find the aisle with the school that you are looking for, much less figure out the sizing system.  Mothers drag reluctant children around.  And there is even a line for the dressing rooms. 

One dressing room had the door ajar and inside was a woman on her knees in front of a crying toddler, trying to get a shirt over his head.  “I am going to put this over your head and then I will take it off right away – it will only be a second,” she said and smiled at him.  She was being so sweet and not exhibiting any frustration that I thought she had to be an aunt or other relative, not his mother.  “Is he yours?” I asked.  Yes, she said.  I told her that it was so nice that she was being so patient with him.  She shrugged as if she knew no other way.

My children commented on it later.  “She was so patient,” one of my daughters said. “I am going to be like her when I am a mother.”  All of them chimed in their agreement.

I was grateful for the beautiful example.

No comments:

Post a Comment