Tuesday, August 18, 2015

The Kindness of Unsolicited Advice

“All of us, at certain moments of our lives, need to take advice and to receive help from other people.”
  - Alexis Carrel

I recently heard a beautiful story from a colleague in her mid-60s.  Attractive, smart and engaging, my colleague has been divorced for a long time and would welcome the opportunity to meet someone and have a partner with whom to enjoy life.  She shared that while standing in a line to purchase tickets,  she overhead an older married couple behind her bickering.  They were arguing about why one of them had not bought the tickets earlier.  Having heard enough, my colleague turned around and asked them if they knew what they were doing.  She said that they were married and that they should be happy, and that she would welcome the opportunity to be married to someone.  I told my colleague that it would be terrific if she could share that view with married couples, so many of whom have lost perspective of how blessed they are to have a life partner.  And then I called my husband to tell him how glad I am to be married to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment