Saturday, June 11, 2016

The Kindness of a Big Bear Hug

"No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent."
~ John Donne

"I have learned that there is more power in a good strong hug than in a thousand meaningful words."
Ann Hood

On a recent Saturday morning, I attended the funeral Mass for a high school friend's mother.  A friend of mine told me she was going, but when I walked in and didn't see her, I sat by myself at the end of a pew toward the back of the church.  When the moment came for people to exchange the Sign of Peace, an old friend came across the aisle and through the pew to give me a big bear hug.  (He happens to be quite tall.)  He also shared a hug with another friend of ours who was sitting by himself behind me.  "You can't be islands over here by yourselves," he said.  My bear hug friend is an old friend from our high school days who I sometimes don't see for years at a time, but whenever I do see him, it is as though we have just seen each other.  I was touched by the hug and by his reaching out to us unintentional "islands."

No comments:

Post a Comment