Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Kindness and an Orange Soda

"Without a sense of caring, there can be no sense of community."
~ Anthony J. D'Angelo

Although I was not a big Cheers viewer, I remember the line from the theme song:  "You want to go where everybody knows your name."  Being a teetotaler and not having a neighborhood bar have not gotten in the way of my having a Cheers-like venue.  It's our local pizza place, affectionately known as Sir P.  For years, a couple of other mothers and I have made it our Friday night family outing.  Friday afternoons invariably bring texts that simply ask, "Sir P?"  It has become such a regular occurrence that friends will stop by on Friday nights to see if we are there.  We have also been known to frequent the place on other nights -- particularly during the summer -- and have celebrated many birthdays there.

On a recent Monday night, I dropped the children off at home after evening activities and ran off to squeeze in a couple of quick errands close to home.  Then I decided that I needed "a drink."  That usually means a Perrier, but on rare occasions, a day can require an orange soda -- especially one with the world's best ice.  So I stopped by Sir P and ordered a small orange soda to go.  As one of the guys behind the counter began to ring me up, the other one said, "Don't charge her.  This one is on us."  I insisted on paying, but then graciously accepted their kindness.  As I drove home, "drink" in hand, I smiled at the thought that it might not be a bar, but I do have my own Cheers-like place.

No comments:

Post a Comment