Thursday, October 22, 2015

Kindness, a Boy and an Adventure

"When you encourage others, you in the process are encouraged because you're making a commitment and a difference in that person's life.  Encouragement really does make a difference."
~ Zig Ziglar

I recently accompanied my son's elementary class on an overnight field trip that was an Outward Bound-type experience.  I knew very little about it except that we had heard that tree climbing would be one of the activities.  Before we left, my son had told me that he was not going to do the tree climbing.

The morning of the tree climbing, we walked through the woods to the spot.  My son again repeated that he was not going to do it.  I had mentioned his decision to one of the other mothers.  As the instructors were explaining the activity, I saw this mother go over to my son and talk to him.  A couple of minutes later, my son joined the group getting ready to do the climb.  The other mother shared that my son had told her that he was not doing it because he was afraid of heights.  And she told him that he did not need to go even five feet of the ground.  Apparently, that was enough for him.  As I saw my son climb the rope -- and he did go much higher than five feet, I was amazed at the impact that this other mother had had on him.  She had taken the time to ask him questions, to really listen and then to help him take a step that was infinitely less scary than what he had imagined.  Thanks to her, he did what he thought he could not do.  I watched the thrill on my son's face as he soared through the air and over a river.  And my heart filled with gratitude for this mother's kindness.

No comments:

Post a Comment