Monday, October 19, 2015

The Kindness of a Delivered Dinner -- Home-Cooked, to Boot!

"There is nothing more beautiful than someone who goes out of their way to make life beautiful for others."
~ Mandy Hale

Perhaps it is because cooking doesn't come easily to me...  But I don't think that's why.  I believe that anyone who has the primary responsibility for getting dinner on the table would agree that delivering dinner is a stand-out kindness.

There have been several times in my life when friends have generously brought dinner to my home.  As you might imagine, it has been in the midst of challenging times -- as a way of not just easing the burden of cooking, but as a beautiful expression of affection.  I still remember each of those times with gratitude.

On a recent Sunday at a church we don't usually frequent, I ran into a friend who is a parishioner there.  I had not seen her for a while and as we caught up, I mentioned an involuntary renovation project that has been difficult for our family.

A few days later, I received a message from her that she had a "surprise" that she wanted to drop off.  And what a surprise it was!  An amazingly delicious home-cooked meal that featured Southern barbecue chicken, which fell off the bone like slow-cooked ribs.  Our surprise included sour cream corn bread, squash souffle and peach cobbler (one of my favorites).  I was so bowled over!  The meal quite obviously took hours to prepare and my heart swelled at the thoughtfulness and effort behind it.  I savored the kindness in each bite.  And long after my family and I have eaten the last of each dish, I know I will remember my friend's generosity.

No comments:

Post a Comment