Saturday, June 3, 2017

Kindness and a Mini-Reunion

"A friend is what the heart needs all the time."
~ Henry Van Dyke

I recently missed my college reunion.  I had really wanted to go and thought I would.  I have great affection for my university and stay in touch with a number of my college friends.  But after several weeks of business travel and a hectic week on the home front, the thought of getting on another plane felt like too much.  So I stayed home for a much-needed weekend with my family.  As I was enjoying a lazy Saturday morning, one of my college friends -- a die-hard reunion attendee who did not attend this one -- called me.  We had not spoken in months and enjoyed a long telephone chat.  "Our own mini-reunion," my friend called it.  As we spoke, we looked on Facebook at the reunion photos and we even watched a video of our classmates dancing at one of the parties.  At one point, after we had watched the video, I heard noise at my friend's house.  What is that? I asked her.  It turns out that her husband, who did not go to college with us, decided that he, too, would watch the party video.  We laughed at the absurdity of it all.  I was grateful that she called and that I was able to enjoy our mini-reunion from the comfort of my home.

No comments:

Post a Comment