Saturday, July 1, 2017

Kindness, a Teacher and Poetry

"Teach your children poetry; it opens the mind, lends grace to wisdom and makes the heroic virtues hereditary."
~ Walter Scott

"Be thou the rainbow in the storms of life.  The evening beam that smiles the clouds away, and tints tomorrow with prophetic say."
~ Lord Byron

I recently came across a weathered book on my shelf.  I was amazed that I still had it.  It was the book we used in a class I took in high school several decades ago -- Romantic and Victorian Poets.  I'm not sure how I ended up in that class, but I do know that the soft-spoken, gentle nun who taught it instilled in me a love of poetry and furthered my fascination with the English language and writing.  A few years later while in Greece with my mother, I made her join me in finding Lord Byron's name etched in the ruins of the Temple of Poseidon outside of Athens.  It was a cold and windy day, but I was determined to find the poet's name.  I probably never thanked the kindly nun for the impact that her teaching had on me, but it is a part of me all these years later.

No comments:

Post a Comment