Saturday, July 1, 2017

Kindness, a Teacher and Poetry

"Teach your children poetry; it opens the mind, lends grace to wisdom and makes the heroic virtues hereditary."
Walter Scott

"Be thou the rainbow in the storms of life.  The evening beam that smiles the clouds away, and tints tomorrow with prophetic say."
~ Lord Byron

I recently came across a weathered book on my shelf.  I was amazed that I still had it.  It was the book we used in a class I took in high school several decades ago -- Romantic and Victorian Poets.  I'm not sure how I ended up in that class, but I do know that the soft-spoken, gentle nun who taught it instilled in me a love of poetry and furthered my fascination with the English language and writing.  A few years later while in Greece with my mother, I made her join me in finding Lord Byron's name etched in the ruins of the Temple of Poseidon outside of Athens.  It was a cold and windy day, but I was determined to find the poet's name.  I probably never thanked the kindly nun for the impact that her teaching had on me, but it is a part of me all these years later.

No comments:

Post a Comment