Friday, July 21, 2017

The Kindness of a Warm Welcome Home

“A hero is someone who has given his or her life to something bigger than oneself.”
~ Joseph Campbell

As I was preparing to get off the plane after a recent flight, a uniformed county police officer boarded the plane, approached the flight attendant and said he was looking for a passenger.  Oh dear, I thought, and immediately conjured up various scenarios.  As it turns out, the police officer was part of a welcome delegation for a serviceman who was on the flight.  At the gate were others, including the serviceman’s family and another police officer.  The serviceman hugged a woman I imagined to be his wife.  Passengers and others around the gate stopped and began clapping.  This particular serviceman was driven off in one of those airport carts.  Then as several others in uniform got off the flight, people continued clapping.  I found myself becoming a little teary and was surprised at my reaction.  And then I saw a businessman, briefcase in hand, watching the scene unfold with misty eyes.  Appreciation for those who risk their lives so that we can enjoy ours is a powerful thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment