Saturday, August 24, 2013

It Takes a Village ...

"God could not be everywhere, and therefore he made mothers."
Rudyard Kipling

Mothers who manage any kind of semi-sane existence know that it does indeed take a village to raise our children.  We rely on the members of our village for support, advice, help with shuttling children back and forth, school updates ...

A dear friend and I have developed our own mutual assistance society.  We are blessed that our children share schools and more than one after-school activity, so we touch base daily.  Depending on who arrives at one of the school dismissal lines first, we make arrangements about where to exchange children.  We even have two designated places close to the schools for this purpose.  Our children seem to jump in and out of our cars with equal ease.  Since our children began attending the same schools, my friend has insisted, "We have to help each other or we'll go crazy."

This week, my friend took the it-takes-a-village thing to a new level.  One of my children had been invited to audition for a community arts program, but she was refusing to do it.  I am not entirely sure of the reasons, but it might have included her beginning a new school and wanting to focus on doing well there.  Her father and I tried to persuade her, but she would not budge.

Enter my friend -- already an important member of my village.  Yesterday, as we were leaving an after-school activity, I overheard my friend talking to my daughter, very casually asking about the program and why she did not want to audition.  My friend told my daughter that she knew how well she would do and that she was sure that my daughter would enjoy it.  Well, you can guess how this story goes -- my daughter auditioned this morning, and it looks as though things went well.

Today, as my friend and I celebrated surviving the first week of school, I thanked her for her very thoughtful kindness.  She was able to accomplish something that neither my husband nor I had managed to do.  And I believe that my daughter will benefit greatly from my friend's generosity.

No comments:

Post a Comment