Monday, August 19, 2013

The Kindness of Appreciation and Encouragement

"Correction does much, but encouragement does more."
― Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I have written a couple of times about the kindness of encouragement, but its impact continues to amaze me.

Classes began today for all but one of my children who does not begin until Wednesday, so the two of us went for breakfast at a restaurant.  Thanks to our kindness project, my children are definitely paying more attention to their p's and q's.  So this morning, even though she was a little sleepy, my daughter managed to say please and thank you.  The server remarked to both of us how polite she was.  Immediately, I saw the impact.  My daughter stepped up her manners and was incredibly mindful to say thank you each time something was brought out to her.  When the bus boy came to clear the table, my daughter handed him her plate.  He said to her, "I think the server was right about you -- she said we had a very nice customer." 

It made me realize -- yet again -- the power of appreciation and encouragement.  By appreciating my daughter's efforts, the staff members at the restaurant encouraged her.  I saw how their words affected her and I imagine they will stay with her beyond today.  (The experience reminded me of a camp counselor who told me I had a great smile -- more than 40 years ago.)

This made me wonder, what opportunities do we have every day to appreciate and encourage others?  As a parent, it is so easy to become frustrated with children's behavior, but what happens if we focus on what they are doing right?  And what about employees and spouses?  When we appreciate others, not only do we acknowledge their thoughtfulness and efforts, but also we encourage them to be their best selves.  It is something to keep in mind, especially at the beginning of the school year.

P.S.  Now that our family kindness project is over, I may not be posting every day.  But then again... who knows J

No comments:

Post a Comment