Sunday, August 4, 2013

The Kindness in a Welcome

“True hospitality is marked by an open response to the dignity of each and every person.  Henri Nouwen has described it as receiving the stranger on his own terms, and asserts that it can be offered only by those who 'have found the center of their lives in their own hearts'.”
  Kathleen Norris, Dakota: A Spiritual Geography

Kindness is at the heart of a welcome.  In fact, when I looked up the meaning of welcome and welcoming in the dictionary, kind is part of the definitions.  We know when we have received a warm welcome (which is actually a little redundant).  Whether it is in someone's home, at a party, in a class or in a city, it is nice to be treated "with pleasure or kindly courtesy."

Strangers, friends and family can all welcome you.  The best part of a welcome is that it makes you feel at ease in a new situation.  Welcomes can be reassuring, they can be helpful ...  One of the things that I try to teach my children is to greet the people who come to their parties or home as soon as they walk in the door.  Even as adults, we appreciate seeing someone we know when we walk into a crowded room or event.  No matter how confident we are, we like to connect with others and a welcome does that.

We received many lovely welcomes this last week in Charleston -- from strangers, teachers at the violin camp and other camp participants.  There was one particular camp parent who made me feel especially welcomed.  I was in several classes with one of her children, an adorable 7-year-old girl whom I mentioned in an earlier post.  The first day of class, my son and I needed a music stand and didn't have one.  This mother walked back to the hotel and brought us one that she had.  On a day when everything was new -- teachers, classes, venues, her hospitality was especially reassuring.  Several times during the week, she volunteered her music stand and set it up for us.  She shared many valuable tips for surviving the week with children in a hotel room and dining suggestions.  And she also made it a point to let me know about some unexpected attention that my blog received.  She definitely seems to live by the "when in doubt, reach out" maxim and I suspect she has the centered heart that Henri Nouwen describes.  I truly appreciate her many kindnesses. 

There are many opportunities to welcome others and to share hospitality every day, and we don't need to be the people hosting or "in charge" to reach out.  It requires an open heart, some thought and a little effort, but it stays for a long time with the person whom you welcomed.  Now back home, as I reflect on our terrific camp experience, my new friend's hospitality is an important part of the good memories. 

No comments:

Post a Comment