Sunday, August 18, 2013

Reflections on the Kindness Journey

"It's all a matter of paying attention, being awake in the present moment, and not expecting a huge payoff.  The magic in this world seems to work in whispers and small kindnesses.”
―Charles de Lint

Today is the last day of summer vacation.  And so the last day of our summer project on kindness.  As we prepared this weekend for the first day of school tomorrow, our family talked about what we had learned.  One of my children said, "I learned that it makes other people feel really good to know someone cares about them."  Kindness is about connection.

What has been most amazing to me is where an open heart can take you.  In an earlier post, I shared the following from an essay by Pablo Neruda:

To feel the love of people whom we love is a fire that feeds our life.  But to feel the affection that comes from those whom we do not know, from those unknown to us, who are watching over our sleep and solitude, over our dangers and our weaknesses, that is something still greater and more beautiful because it widens out the boundaries of our being, and unites all living things.

That concept of widening the boundaries of our being is what keeps running through my mind in terms of our project on kindness.  I have learned about many facets of kindness, including surprising ones like curiosity, courage and breathing.  In opening my heart, I have expanded my life -- the whole "boundaries of my being" thing.  I have become less afraid of new things and new people. 

In terms of my children, my hope is that we have strengthened the habit of thoughtfulness -- of thinking about how we can help, what someone else might be feeling...  I have noticed that they are much more attentive to the everyday small kindnesses like holding a door and returning the grocery carts.  And the other day as we walked by a car parked at an expired meter, my son asked for change.

Bottom line: It has been a great deal of fun, in no small part because in opening our hearts, we have learned and experienced so much.  I do believe there is magic in kindness. 

And I think that the Adventures in Kindness will continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment