Friday, August 30, 2013

Kindness Along the Journey

"Life is short and we have never too much time for gladdening the hearts of those who are travelling the dark journey with us.  Oh be swift to love, make haste to be kind."
Henri Frederic Amiel

Today I spoke to someone who is a professional friend, the kind of person you meet through work, but whom you end up really liking and so a personal friendship develops as well.  A mutual contact introduced us a couple of years ago and we have enjoyed getting to know each other.  We consistently try to support each other in our respective businesses, but we also share what is going on in our personal lives.  About a year and a half ago, I had a personal situation that someone she knew could greatly help with.  I never thought to ask for her help, but she volunteered to intervene on my behalf -- she did and what I needed to happen did.  I will be forever grateful.  Some time ago, this woman had the terrific idea of scheduling monthly calls, so that we could regularly catch up.  Our conversations are always invaluable.  Today, I shared a new project idea, and she was immediately enthusiastic and began thinking of ways that she could help.  She even offered to write an e-mail to someone in a key position who might be interested in the project.  I am always struck by how she analyzes a situation and quickly identifies where she can be helpful.  She has a generosity of spirit -- a natural kindness -- that comes easily and that has tremendous impact.

No comments:

Post a Comment