Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Enjoying Someone Else's Kindness

"Love and kindness are never wasted.  They always make a difference.  They bless the one who receives them, and they bless you, the giver."
― Barbara de Angelis

I was at the airport this morning, traveling on business.  Although the airport didn't seem busy, the security check point lines were unusually long.  Patience was wearing thin, passengers fidgeted and looked at their watches, a couple of people managed to cut the line...  The usual stuff of which travel is made these days.  As I finally boarded the plane, I was determined to find an act or two of kindness.

Frankly, it did not occur to me that I might be involved in one.  But when I sat down in the aisle seat that I had been delighted to secure last night (after exchanging a middle seat for it), the nice woman sitting in the middle seat next to me told me that her husband was sitting in the middle seat in front of us.  As I looked at the three men sitting in that row, I hesitated for a moment before offering to change seats with her husband.  To my surprise, the act of kindness was hers.

"No," she said.  "Look at the men on either side of him.  You don't want to sit there."  And then she added with a mischievous tone, "Plus, I told him last night that we should change our seats, but he said 'no.'  He didn't realize that they were middle seats.  He doesn't listen.  So that's his punishment."

Well, who was I to argue with that?  I told her I wouldn't press the point and I sat back to enjoy the flight -- and her act of kindness.

No comments:

Post a Comment