Sunday, September 1, 2013

The Kindness of Enjoying Where You Are

"I have a theory about the human mind.  A brain is a lot like a computer.  It will only take so many facts, and then it will go on overload and blow up."
―Erma Bombeck

This morning, I went to a different yoga class.  The instructor began by talking to us about the balance between self-examination and the possibility of ensuing guilt, and being in the present moment and enjoying where you are.  He said that it is important to analyze what we have done, particularly if we want to change behavior, but we also should try to enjoy our experiences.  As with most of the messages I receive during yoga class, it was exactly what I needed to hear.

I have mentioned before the craziness of the beginning of the school year.  It seems whiny to me to complain about it, and yet...  I have been reading Happier at Home by Gretchen Rubin this weekend.  She writes:  "These days, September was also the season of the Mother Olympics; with all the health forms, supply lists, and emergency contact sheets, I could barely keep track of everything I had to buy, fill out, or turn in."

Yes!  Rubin captures exactly how so many mothers I know feel.  There have been several memory lapses for me this week -- due, I imagine, to information and brain overload.  Just a few examples:  At a back-to-school night, I (who resent food pushers) kept insisting that two friends of mine eat ham croquettes and ham sandwiches.  Finally, the woman in the couple very patiently said, "We don't eat meat."  Having gone out to eat with them many times, I KNOW that.  And I am married to a vegetarian, so usually I remember those things.  Then, a dear friend from college called and asked if I had received a letter she sent me.  No, I said.  She remarked that it was odd as she had mailed it two weeks before.  She began telling me about her vacation, and all of a sudden, it sounded very familiar...  Yep, seems I had received the letter.  And yesterday, a friend visiting from out of town texted me to ask where I was.  Oops, I had agreed to meet him for coffee.  This morning, I spoke to one of my best friends who had gone away for the long weekend.  Her oops:  Seems she had forgotten that she had agreed to host a birthday party for relatives when she headed out of town.  If that isn't brain overload, I don't know what is.

I suppose that we could feel guilty about it, and I do feel badly that I missed coffee with my friend.  I also think that it makes sense to take a look and see if we could have done something differently.  (It has occurred to me that if September is Mother Olympics season, what can I possible do to train for next year?)  But in the end, what is, is.  And it makes most sense to be kind to ourselves, to enjoy where we're at -- even if it might not be exactly where we thought we'd be.

No comments:

Post a Comment