Saturday, September 14, 2013

The Kindness of Warmth

"One looks back with appreciation to the brilliant teachers, but with gratitude to those who touched our human feelings.  The curriculum is so much necessary raw material, but warmth is the vital element for the growing plant and for the soul of the child."
Carl Jung


Yesterday was Picture Day at school.  Thanks to an e-mail the night before, I was able to run and get my son's hair cut.  Mid-morning, I received a very thoughtful text from the teacher's assistant in my son's class.  She shared that she had told my son that he looked very handsome with his new haircut and that she had combed his hair for the school photo.

I frequently receive messages from this assistant that convey the warmth that she feels toward her students.  When I was traveling the week before, she texted me to say that she had given my son a hug while he was waiting to get picked up by a friend of mine.  A couple of weeks ago, she sent me a video of his playing the violin in music class.  She constantly gives me the sense that my son is not only well taken care of, but also loved.  What more could a mother ask for?

I feel very fortunate that my children have teachers and teacher's assistants who have been kind enough to go above and beyond their duties to provide such personalized attention to my children.  Being a mother is a roller-coaster type of journey and it is such a blessing to have the kindness of supportive teachers along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment