Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Kindness That Lifts You Up

"There is no small act of kindness.  Every compassionate act makes large the world."
― Mary Anne Radmacher
 
I was returning home from early-morning school drop off today with the endless reel of "what can I get done, what has to be done, how will I get it done..." spinning in my head.  As I approached the door to my building, the newspaper delivery man, exiting from his morning rounds, held the door for me.  I hurried to the door, but with a patient smile, he said, "Don't rush."  There was something about his smile and his very simple gesture that broke the spell in my head, something about that connection with someone else that put my "problems" into perspective and brought me back to the present moment -- the moment that truly bears enjoyment and that we will miss if we are busy somewhere else.  This gentleman's seemingly small act of kindness made me smile and lifted my mood.

No comments:

Post a Comment